Click on an ad. I get money!

Thursday, September 09, 2004

Washing Up

As we established on Monday, we all must eat. (See previous entry if you're having problems so far). It follows logically then that we all must do the washing up.
When plates get used, they get dirty and they need a wash. The same is true for cutlery, pans, bowls, cups, mugs, the cheese grater, the chopping board, the beaters (even [especially] after you've licked them) in fact just about anything used in the food making process. Don't be fooled by the term "Doing the dishes", there's a lot more to it then that.
While doing the washing up is a universal fact of life, how one does the washing up seems to vary greatly from person to person. I have discovered that a great deal of feeling can be behind a person's washing up habits, it reflects how they were raised and what makes them feel secure. Here a SGR, we are all brush users, but we have a sponge and a cloth on hand so that if a non-brush user volunteers to do the washing-up he (or, most often, she) will not feel uncomfortable. We're very kind like that.
Some may say that I am looking too deeply into what is, at surface level anyway, an ordinary, mundane aspect of life. Others may say I am loopy, and others still may say that I am just killing time, hiding out in my room until someone else comes home and does the dishes for me. And while these hypotheses (one in particular) are quite valid, I think the world would be a more friendly place if we were all understood eacher other's little ideo"sink"racies.


I'm Tom of SGR

2 Comments:

At 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it comes to washing up implements, I'm quite broad-minded. Having been reared as a brush-person, I find the sponge and cloth methods a bit soft, but I'm happy to use anything that comes to hand so long as the dishes get clean. However there is one thing I cannot tolerate and that's sloppy washing up preparation. If you've eaten something greasy and there's oil all over the plate, basic science will tell you that splashing a bit of water over it and leaving it in the sink isn't really going to make much difference...'water off a duck's back' springs to mind. Use detergent, some hot water and hey! While you're there, why not just use the brush, sponge, and/or cloth and clean it up!! It's not hard, it doesn't take long, and it helps out with stress levels in the household and the possible frustrated breaking of other people's good china that may result later.

 
At 12:22 am, Blogger Tom said...

I should ammend a small detail:
I have just discovered that Dan was raised a sponge-user.
Also, I agree with the above comment - the water should be very hot with a dash of detergent.
Did I mention that we recommend Trix™.
"Trix - I've got some up my sleeve"™

 

Post a Comment

<< Home